New film reviews are all spoiler free!
Oldies are a little more in depth!
If you want to suggest a film for me to review tweet or Facebook us!

Saturday 23 June 2012

Report 23/06/12 Elysium, Sheen, Transformers, Tai Chi and Dredd!

Lots of news from the last few days that I think needs mentioning sooooo here's my take on recent movie news!

Elysium Plot
"Set in the year 2159, where the very wealthy lives on a man-made space station while the rest of population reside on a ruined Earth, a man takes on a mission that could bring equality to the polarized worlds."
So this is the recently revealed plot for Neill Blomkamp's in development sf blockbuster Elysium. If your unfamiliar with Blomkam he was a visual effects artist before he wrote and directed his first feature District 9, a film I shall soon review, well worth a watch. Despite not having Peter Jackson's funding I am confident Blomkamp's second feature will be good, and the plot has just made me more excited.

Machete Kills Casts Sheen
http://www.nextmovie.com/blog/president-charlie-sheen-machete-kills/
Not seen Machete but have to laugh at Rodriguez' casting!

Transformers 4, Bay drops Shia Lebeouf
This week Bay announced that Transformers 4 would not be a reboot but would also not feature Shia Lebeouf or his character. Is this a good thing? Well I'm not a big fan of the films for two reasons; 1 I can't tell the difference between good giant fighting robots and bad giant fighting robots... after the fight finishes I wait for the humans reaction so I can find out if the good guy won. 2 Despite the heartwarming relationship between Sam and Bumblebee it seems like all of the films have a good hour or so of useless wasted time in which we see boring snipits of Sam's life that we don't see enough of to care about. So for me it seems like a good thing, where will it go? Well Bay said he wanted to take it to space where the transformers come from but not make it too scifiy and keep it accessible. So there must still be human characters but it sounds like it could be a very different film... However judging by Bay's history just expect action, explosions and a tiny bit of plot.

Keanu Reeves Man Of Tai Chi Kungfu Proof of Concept
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-zHlY3P25aA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=VuWWlYLbxUo
So these are the demo's of the camera control for Keanu Reeves' directorial début Man of Tai Chi. I think it visually looks pretty awesome and whilst it is fluid smooth and well controlled it is heavily inspired by the CGI style fights of The Matrix and more recent Kung Fu movies however I think the organically created visuals look really nice and I am looking forward to seeing Reeves' ideas as a Director and not just an actor.

Dredd Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PifvRiHVSCY
So I'm not a judge dredd fan or reader but was hoping for a good film out of the concept and this week the trailer was released for the new film. If you want a Dredd informed opinion I suggest you read this review
http://acupofteainthesun.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/my-response-on-new-dredd-trailer.html
My personal opinion is a little bit cautious... whilst it looks like there are some cool ideas, the drug, the building complex and the mob style crimelord to name a few the whole thing in general just doesn't quite feel right. Why I'm not sure, it could be the slightly cheesy action and dialogue but I think the lack of real dirt and the mismatch between the gritty mise en scene and basic lighting give it an unrealistic look. However I think my biggest dislike is just the mask.... I have no problem with that much of a face being covered or I wouldnt like Robocop but it just doesnt seem right, maybe its a little wide I'm not sure. I also didn't like the contrast to the dark an cool poster that was released a little while ago http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3051727360/tt1343727 the poster looks cool, dark, stealthy and almost Chris Nolan Batmanesque and that would be a good film, but Judge ing by the trailer that's not what we are going to get. The trailer itself tells us the whole plot and I'm not expecting anything really special but I will keep my fingers crossed.

Wow lots of news! more reviews, reports and reveals on the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment