New film reviews are all spoiler free!
Oldies are a little more in depth!
If you want to suggest a film for me to review tweet or Facebook us!

Thursday 31 January 2013

CBT! Superior Spiderman #2, Avengers #4.

Superior Spiderman #2
I was one of the supporters of the status quo shift and of Dan Slott's development of Doc Ock into Peter Parker, but this... is a joke. The only way to enjoy this comic is as though its a "what if" or a phase everyone can forget about, the comic has lost all seriousness, it is a joke, Slott has thought of a few things he thinks would be funny, such as ock "enjoying" memories of Peter and MJ, it has turned the comic into a poor meta about comicbook heroes' faults, which could be a good idea but its execution is poor and so is the comic. Unfortunately I don't think the artwork is any saving grace, its too busy and further crowded by pointless overbearing speech bubbles. So obviously overall this comic is a bag of Doc Ock's wank, it also levers Carly into figuring out the whole Doc is Peter thing which will most likely resolve itself within the year.
5/10

Avengers #4
This issue was ALL about Hyperion... not a bad thing as I had no clue who he was before today... Despite its simplicity this was a nice introduction to the character whilst mopping up a little of the fallout from the first set of villains, its a smart way for the comic to develop, a little down time till the next big bang. Hyperion seems a little like Sentry to me but that depends on where he goes from here, hopefully not the same way but the ominous undertones of his character were hammered into the audience in this issue, its clear hes gonna have some issues. I also think that after AIM taking a bit of a backseat in the past they are EVERYWHERE now! But thats no problem, they are a pretty classy evil organisation by anyone's standards and they're still not spread as thinly as Wolverine. Art wise I was excited to see a Kubert as always but felt a little let down, most of the pencils were just a little off, the panelling on the other hand was sweet, rightfully reminiscent of the 90's but I think in general Adam Kubert's art suits battles and action more than recon, the best art in the book for sure were the Hyperion sections. Pretty standard but a nice intro to Hyperion and a nice cool off from #1-3. I look forward to learning more about the team and seeing more missions in the future.
7.5/10

I would like to point out that I know I am highly critical of a lot of what I read but I have to pick at the little things because in general comics are amazing. I expect them to be high quality, a 7/10 for a comic is like a 9/10 for a... something ordinary. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment