New film reviews are all spoiler free!
Oldies are a little more in depth!
If you want to suggest a film for me to review tweet or Facebook us!

Sunday 5 August 2012

Colin (2008 Marc Price)


http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1278322/
I really love this film. Mainly because I relate to it, not to the characters but to the film makers. Marc Price is a film teacher who worked tirelessly to create an exciting, fun, interesting and cheap zombie film. I knwo how difficult this is to do! And I have only filmed shorts. Whilst the statement "the first zombie with emotions" would be incorrect, (see any late Romero film!) Colin is one of the zombies (and I know a lot) that I care about most. He is a bumbling, unfortunate, wonderer who the audience cheers on, this is the first zombie I have wanted to be well fed.

The camera work isnt great, there are bits of good stuff in there, the bathroom scene specifically as well as the "zombie experiments" scene, and the cutaways specifically are largely well shot. The action and a large amount of the film is however weakly lit or overexposed and looks cheap... Wake up! It was cheap, its not professional and it doesnt matter. For me that is one of the charming things about the film and one of its most inspiring qualities. A good fun zombie film all round!
7.5/10
(only because of its poor visual quality, if it was done on good cameras with professional lighting and set ups ect ect it would probably be a 9)

No comments:

Post a Comment