New film reviews are all spoiler free!
Oldies are a little more in depth!
If you want to suggest a film for me to review tweet or Facebook us!

Tuesday 31 July 2012

The Brothers Bloom (2008 Rian Johnson)

"Tastes like tinfoil"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0844286/

After watching Brick and being thoroughly impressed and seeing the trailer for Looper I was excited however a little worried that Looper would be a generic action SF blockbuster so I thought I should look to Rian Johnson's other blockbuster The Brothers Bloom. I was originally worried by it, a con film about brothers, they are as generic as it gets so you can understand my scepticism. However it was misplaced worry, I should have trusted in Johnson's skill and wit as is shines through in the brothers bloom to make an awesome witty ride of a film. Narratively it packs a double punch, you think it is going to end and then you look, and see there is half a film yet and think YES THANK GOD I WANT MORE!!!

The dialogue is brilliant, the wit of all the characters and the poetry of the speech rolls of the tongue of the characters. Visually the colours of the film are vibrant and bright reflecting the hilarious tone of the film, the framing is often nice and brought to life by the brilliant cast. The con side of the film is intricate and complex and both you and the characters start to wonder if you are being lied to. Enigma codes work really well to set up repeated comical lines and puzzles that ad mystery to the film. 

This is another instant favourite of mine, another Rian Johnson win, there is something about it that seems a little like a Jean Pierre Junet film. Again I can't say enough, if you get a chance to watch it, do it! Its awesome!
8.5

No comments:

Post a Comment